The Stop Sexual Harassment in NYC Act is a comprehensive legislative package aimed at addressing and preventing sexual harassment in the workplace. The Act is phased in over the next year.
At this time NYC employers should have:
- Permit claims of gender-based harassment by all employees, regardless of the size of the employer effective May 9,2018.
- Post English and Spanish versions of the legal sized notice in employee break-rooms or other common areas employees gather no later than September 6, 2018. While there is a letter size poster available, the Act specifically mentions a poster size of 8.5 x 14 inches with no less than 12 point font.
- Hand out the fact sheet (or updated employee handbook) to individuals at their time of hire beginning no later than September 6, 2018.
Additional information can be found on the NYC Human Rights website .
- NYC: Anti-harassment training for employees and supervisors effective April 1, 2019. Further guidance is forthcoming from NYC.
- NY State: Requirements of the new state anti-harassment law overlap with the NYC requirements. NYC employers must ensure they are meeting the requirements of both laws. NY State anti-harassment policy and a plan for employee training are required effective October 9, 2018. See below for NY State information released in late August.